Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Food Processing Equipment Market
Market Report Description
The Global Food Processing Equipment size is expected to reach $78.9 billion by 2027, rising at a market growth of 7.3% CAGR during the forecast period. In order to process raw food materials into consumable food products, food processing equipment is utilized. This equipment finds potential uses in the food and beverage sector. Bakery, poultry, dairy, meat, and various other sectors choose for advanced food processing equipment for superior conditioning of food items. Food processing machine provides comfortable, appealing, secure, and hygiene consumable food items, hence enhancing the sales of the food processing equipment.
Some of the catalysts for the growth of the global food processing equipment market are growing consumer demand for processed food, increasing need to enhance productivity, rising focus on food safety & safety of workers, spur in the focus of food makers to diminish production cost and government support to promote the food processing sector. In addition to this, the food processing market would witness various growth avenues provided by developing countries.
The growth of the food & beverage processing equipment market would be augmented by the consistent improvement in the food processing sector, advancements in processing technology, and constant development in the demand for processed food. Along with this, the market growth is further boosted by the increment in the food manufacturing capabilities and development of the food processing industry in the developing economies. In order to satisfy the increasing demand for healthy functional foods and beverages, the manufacturers are anticipated to deploy the latest equipment along with the increasing preference for healthy food and functional foods. Players operating in the food processing market, food retail, and foodservice value chains have new possibilities to explore or grow their penetration of equipment products, either organically or with the help of acquisition.
Based on Application, the market is segmented into Meat, Poultry, & Seafood; Beverage, Bakery & Confectionaries, Fruit, Nut, & Vegetable, Dairy, Grains and Others. The grains application segment has witnessed a relatively slow growth rate due to the shifting regulatory scenario and taxes imposed. Recently, the imposed tariffs of China on the shipments from the US show lower imports of grain in China. In addition to it, extreme weather conditions in Canada directly impact grain production, which simultaneously affects the demand for the product in the region.
Based on Type, the market is segmented into Processing and Pre-Processing. The processing equipment segment obtained the major revenue share of the global food processing equipment market in 2020. The segment would witness a promising growth rate throughout the forecast period due to the massive demand for processed products and the rising prominence of healthy and packaged food.
Mode of Operation Outlook
Based on Mode of Operation, the market is segmented into Semi-automatic and Automatic. Due to the high accessibility of labor, financial budget, and low-priced semi-automated product, makers started choosing semi-automated equipment. The markers are more inclined to adopt automated systems in the market with the rising demand for processed food. The global automated food processing equipment market would witness different growth opportunities with the new industrial trends.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 54.7 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 78.9 Billion|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 7.3% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||226|
|Number of Tables||373|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling, Competitive Landscape|
|Segments covered||Application, Type, Mode of Operation, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. Asia-Pacific emerged as the dominating region in terms of revenue generation in the global food processing equipment market in 2021 and would maintain a similar trend during the forecast period. Many players are operating in the Chinese market, and hence, product advancement and strategic partnerships are some of the factors that would help Chinese players to grow further.
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Food Processing Equipment Market Competition Analysis
Free Valuable Insights: Global Food Processing Equipment Market size to reach USD 78.9 Billion by 2027
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Product Launches and Partnerships. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; MiddleBy Corporation and Alfa Laval AB are the forerunners in the Food Processing Equipment Market. Companies such as Marel Ltd., Baader Group, Buhler Group, and GEA Group AG are some of the key innovators in the market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include John Bean Technologies Corporation, The Krones Group, Alfa Laval AB, MiddleBy Corporation, GEA Group AG, Buhler Group, Baader Group, Marel Ltd., SPX Flow, Inc., and FENCO Food Machinery S.r.l.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Food Processing Equipment Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations, and Agreements:
- Mar-2021: The Middleby Corporation signed an investment & license agreement with Vyv, a leader in a new class of continuous antimicrobial lighting solutions. Together, the companies are working to implement and embed Vyv antimicrobial lighting technologies to make cleaner food environments. Under this agreement, Middleby uses Vyv's proprietary, antimicrobial LED technology in Middleby commercial, food processing, and residential products.
- Jan-2021: Buhler partnered with the German Institute of Food Technologies (DIL). Together, the companies work on product series that includes significant ranges with confectionery & snacks potential. This partnership aims to explore various market segments, focused on alternative protein-based products with fewer environmental effects.
- Dec-2020: Baader came into an agreement with Land-based salmon producer, Quality Salmon Sotenäs AB. In this agreement, Baader became the major supplier for Quality Salmon’s recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) facility in Sweden.
- Dec-2020: The Middleby Corporation entered an agreement to acquire Zhuhai Guangdong China-based United Foodservice Equipment Group. The acquisition will expand Middleby's capabilities in a major global location and high-demand market. Through this acquisition, Middleby is expecting to continue its growth in Asia and will strengthen its portfolio to best provide customers in this region and across the world.
- Feb-2020: Buhler collaborated with Givaudan, a manufacturer of flavors, fragrances and active cosmetic ingredients. In this collaboration, both the companies announced to build an Innovation Center dedicated to plant-based food in Singapore. This plant will operate by both the companies that bring together a pilot plant including Bühler extrusion and processing equipment and a kitchen and flavor laboratory by Givaudan.
- Oct-2019: Buhler formed a partnership with Halverson Company, provider of Grain Storage and Handling solutions. In this partnership, Halverson represents Buhler related to promoting and selling machines for the feed milling industry.
- Sep-2019: Marel entered into a partnership with TOMRA Food, designer and manufacturer of sensor-based sorting machines and integrated post-harvest solutions for the food industry. This partnership aims at bringing the latest sensor-based sorting and processing technologies to maximize value, decrease waste, and enhance food safety in the worldwide poultry, meat and fish industry.
» Acquisition and Mergers:
- Feb-2021: Baader took over Skaginn 3X, provider of advanced chilling and food processing technology systems. Under this acquisition, Baader acquired a majority of shares in Skaginn to integrate its manufacturing capability with Skaginn’s advanced freezing, cooling, and processing expertise.
- Jan-2021: Buhler took over Design Corrugating Companies, a roller mill and other equipment service company. Through this acquisition, Buhler manages seven service centers in the United States, delivering grain, pet food, feed, oilseed, and chocolate processors, and also brewers & distillers, inks & coatings, and other companies that use roller mills.
- Sep-2020: Marel signed an agreement to acquire TREIF Maschinenbau GmbH, manufacturer of machinery, plants, and systems for food cutting. Through this acquisition, the companies will complement each others' portfolio and geographic presence, making a robust platform to improve further growth.
- Oct-2019: Marel acquired 50 percent shares in Curio, a maker of whitefish processing equipment. This acquisition boosted the innovation and growth of its solution portfolio.
- Jun-2019: JBT Corporation acquired two companies Proseal UK Limited, a leading provider of tray sealing technology, and Prime Equipment Group, Inc., a manufacturer of turnkey primary and water re-use solutions. Through this acquisition, Prime advances JBT's objective of becoming the leading provider of full-line solutions for poultry customers by adding Prime's primary processing capabilities.
- Dec-2018: The Middleby Corporation announced the acquisition of Crown Food Service Equipment, a leader in designing and manufacturing steam cooking equipment. Through this acquisition, the Middleby steam platform strengthened its position of industry-leading innovations and customer solutions that includes different capabilities that fulfill customer demands for menu flexibility, labor savings, and automation, and also complemented increasing foodservice trends of organic, sous vide cooking, and health awareness.
- Oct-2018: Krones completed the acquisition of US-based firm WM Sprinkman. Through this acquisition, Krones aimed to improve its capabilities of House of Krones’ product line in North America that includes process technology solutions, packaging equipment, and bottling.
- Jul-2018: Marel announced the acquisition of German food processing equipment manufacturer, MAJA. This acquisition fulfilled Marel’s strategic aim to be a full-line supplier of innovative food processing solutions and standard equipment.
- Jan-2018: Buhler acquired The Haas Group, an Austrian-based company. The acquisition complemented each other offerings and opened a new chapter in the Consumer Food market.
- Jan-2018: GEA took over Pavan Group in Italy, which supplies extrusion and milling technology. Following the acquisition, GEA expanded its portfolio and integrate the venture into its Business Area Equipment division, under which it develops a dedicated product group in the name of Pasta, Extrusion & Milling.
» Product Launches and Product Expansion:
- Feb-2021: Buhler unveiled the new PolyCool 1000, a high-performance cooling die. This cooling die along with an extruder offers an effective and flexible solution for food producers making tasty and significant plant-based meat or fish options.
- Feb-2021: Alfa Laval unveiled a new decanter, the Alfa Laval Foodec Hygiene Plus. It helps the food industry fulfill and exceed the ever-changing demands. This decanter is available in a different range of features developed to enhance hygiene levels and also maintain the excellent performance which is expected from Alfa Laval decanters.
- Feb-2021: SPX Flow announced the addition of direct drive models to its Seital centrifuge line. SPX Flow's vertical disk stack centrifuges offer clarification and separation solutions for the beverage, dairy and industrial sectors. These solutions are appropriate for applications that include milk skimming, bacteria clarification, whey processing, and oil refining.
- Jun-2020: Marel unveiled its latest ACM-NT Compact automated cut-up solution for poultry processing. By utilizing ACM-NT’s proven breast, leg, and wing cutting modules, Marel states that the custom-designed system can develop any high-grade chicken part that customers demand.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Meat, Poultry, & Seafood
- Bakery & Confectionaries
- Fruit, Nut, & Vegetable
By Mode of Operation
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- John Bean Technologies Corporation
- The Krones Group
- Alfa Laval AB
- MiddleBy Corporation
- GEA Group AG
- Buhler Group
- Baader Group
- Marel Ltd.
- SPX Flow, Inc.
- FENCO Food Machinery S.r.l.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
Food Processing Equipment Market Related Reports:
North America Market
Asia Pacific Market
But in the last few years, food tech has become its own sector with the rise of big data, AI and the internet of things (IoT). Food tech helps the food industry to be more sustainable by using IoT in all stages. The internet of things reaches several applications, including farming and agriculture.
How large is the US food processing industry? Well, it has about 21,000 companies and $750 billion in revenue! To put that in perspective, worldwide processed food sales total about $2 trillion.What is food processing equipment? ›
Food processing equipment is an umbrella term referring to the components, processing machines, and systems used to handle, prepare, cook, store, and package food and food products.
India's food processing sector is one of the largest in the world and its output is expected to reach $535 bn by 2025-26. The Food Processing sector in India has a quintessential role in linking Indian farmers to consumers in the domestic and international markets.What are the opportunities in food processing industry? ›
Fruits and vegetables, poultry and meat processing, fisheries, food retail, and the dairy industry are some of the important sub-segments of India's food processing business.
India's food processing sector is poised for growth in response to changing demographics, evolving preferences for branded items, a modernizing retail sector, growing consumer acceptance of processed foods, and government advocacy to develop food manufacturing.Is the food processing industry growing? ›
|Market size value in 2021||USD 58.17 billion|
|Revenue forecast in 2028||USD 89.31 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 6.1% from 2021 to 2028|
Food manufacturing sales are projected to increase 7.4% in 2022, driven by: Historically strong disposable income and accumulated savings in 2021. Food prices remaining elevated. Robust export markets with food exports representing an estimated 36.8% of overall sales.Where is the largest food processing plant in the world? ›
|H. J. Heinz, Wigan|
|Location||Kitt Green, Wigan|
Food processing equipment is meant to streamline food processing and make it less labor intensive. The equipment food needs can be customized for home owners or large-scale businesses in the food industry. Food processing goes through several stages with each stage detailing a specific food handling function.
These equipments are employed to produce food and food product applications such as bakery goods to beverages and dairy. The food processing equipments can be designed and constructed to handle solid, semi-solid and liquid products, in a batch-wise or continuously, depending on the demands of the operation.
India's food processing sector is one of the largest in the world and its output is expected to reach US$ 535 billion by 2025-26. This sector is expected to generate 9 million jobs by 2024. The Indian food industry is expanding at a CAGR of 11% and the food processing sector accounts for 32% of the total food industry.What are the four major sectors in the food industry? ›
Farm service sector, producers sector, processors sector and marketers sector are the major sectors of food industry.
More than 75% of the industry is in unorganized sector. Processing can be delineated into primary and secondary processing. Rice, sugar, edible oil and flour mills are examples of primary processing. Secondary processing includes the processing of fruits and vegetables, dairy, bakery, chocolates and other items.What are the challenges faced in food industry? ›
The Food industry, especially the processed food segment in India is facing many challenges, Currently, increased pressure on raw material costs, food safety, quality and hygiene, excessive wastages, poor product shelf life, shortage of skilled manpower are some of the most frequent problems faced by the Industry.
Key challenges faced by the food processing sector are gaps in supply chain infrastructure which means inadequate primary processing, storage and distribution facilities; the insufficient connection between production and processing; seasonality of operations and low capacity utilisations; institutional gaps in the ...What are the challenges facing food production? ›
Food production will increasingly be impacted by climate change, in particular from the increased frequency of storms, droughts and other extreme weather events. Food production is in turn a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions as well as water scarcity and wider biodiversity issues.
Answer: They hoped that more images will be transferred to paper.Why food processing is called as sunrise sector? ›
India, being an agrarian economy, has a natural advantage in terms of food processing industries (FPI). Thus, FPI is recognised as the 'Sunrise Industry' in India.
Food processing is the transformation of agricultural products into food, or of one form of food into other forms. Food processing includes many forms of processing foods, from grinding grain to make raw flour to home cooking to complex industrial methods used to make convenience foods.
There are many food and beverage processing establishments (plants) in the United States—36,486, owned by about 31,401 companies in 2017, according to the most recent comprehensive data in the Census Bureau's 2017 Economic Census.
Food process manufacturing is big business. Its revenues add up to nearly $700 billion each year. In fact, the industry is responsible for one out of every six dollars generated by American companies.How much is the food industry worth 2021? ›
In 2021, the foodservice industry surpassed pre-pandemic levels. In 2021, the foodservice and food retailing industries supplied about $2.12 trillion worth of food. Of this total, $1.17 trillion was supplied by foodservice facilities.
Don't be surprised to see adventurous flaming hot flavors expand beyond chips and popcorn. Fast food outlets, food trucks and even home cooking options will have their own spiced-up versions of hot offerings as a food trend for 2022, including mac and cheese and fried chicken.What is the fastest growing food industry? ›
Aquaculture, after all, is the fastest growing food sector in the world, and America can and should be a leader in seafood production.
Plant-based 'meats' will continue to increase in popularity.
Meat alternatives are nothing new. Beyond Meat burgers and Impossible Burgers and such have been on home grills and menus for several years now. Major fast-food chains are trying out vegan nuggets. Pizza chains are trying out plant-based pepperoni.
- Honey production – 30% average profit margin.
- Coffee shop – 25% average profit margin.
- Popcorn business – 22% average profit margin.
- Custom cakes – 19% average profit margin.
- Chicken poultry -17% average profit margin.
- Pizza – 15% average profit margin.
|Rank||Company||Sales (USD, m)|
|1||Nestlé||Total Sales: $93,268 Food Sales: $80,195|
|2||PepsiCo, Inc.||Total Sales: $64,661 Food Sales: $64,661|
|3||Anheuser-Busch InBev||Total Sales: $54,619 Food Sales: $54,619|
|4||JBS||Total Sales: $49,775 Food Sales: $46,790|
Some examples of process equipment popularly used in these industries are pumps, valves, vessels, filters, coolers, heat exchangers, pulsation dampeners, and piping. Each of these equipment is very important because of its indispensable usage in the working of a process.
When using any equipment, tool or device it is important to read and understand the manufacturer's specifications in order to property or accurately use or manipulate them and prevent any accident that may occur due to ignorance or lack of information pertaining to their correct usage.
- 1 Homogenisation. ...
- 2 Pasteurisation. ...
- 3 Canning. ...
- 4 Drying. ...
- 5 Smoking.
- Method # 1. Asepsis: ...
- Method # 2. Pasteurization: ...
- Method # 3. Sterilization: ...
- Method # 4. Refrigeration: ...
- Method # 5. Freezing: ...
- Method # 6. Chemicals: ...
- Method # 7. Dehydration: ...
- Method # 8. Carbonation:
Food processing and preparation activities cover three main fields: (1) the preservation of foods by (a) modern methods such as refrigeration, canning and irradiation, and (b) traditional methods such as drying, salting, smoking and fermentation; (2) the development of protein - rich foods; (3) food additives.
A computer is a special kind of machine—a machine that processes information. Most personal computers look very much alike both on the inside and on the outside. They consist of both hardware and software. The hardware is the part of the computer you can touch.What is holding and storage equipment? ›
Storage equipment is any equipment used for holding or buffering materials over a period of time (and may include transport) typically they help preserve valuable work floor space. Having enough space to work plays a significant role in product protection, worker safety and lean manufacturing.
This tool is by far one of the most important foundational tools in your kitchen. Because you use the chef's knife for so much of your prep time, it's very important for it to be comfortable and well balanced.
Robotic chefs and food processing robots further fuel food robotics as a prominent food technology trend. Also, autonomous drones and vehicles are emerging to be efficient substitutes for manual delivery services while saving overall costs.
- Climate change pressure/demand for energy efficiency. ...
- Single-use plastics ban. ...
- Zero waste. ...
- Shrinking commercial kitchen spaces. ...
- Food delivery market boom. ...
- The rise (and rise) of ghost kitchens. ...
- Casual dining slump to continue. ...
- Big chains and ethics/politicisation of brands.
The term food industries covers a series of industrial activities directed at the production, distribution, processing, conversion, preparation, preservation, transport, certification and packaging of foodstuffs.
- Create a Website for Your Fast Food Restaurant. ...
- Employ Email Marketing. ...
- Use Social Media Marketing and Make Your Online Presence Strong. ...
- Partner With Food Delivery Apps. ...
- Offer a Good and Hygienic Dining Space. ...
- Offer Deals to Local Offices and Workplaces. ...
- Offer Deals and Discounts to Your Loyal Customers.
In 2022, we expect to see the 'Reduce' in 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle' on display more, as consumers look to reduce their consumption (specifically of meat, dairy and eggs), and for brands that are actively reducing as well.
Improved Customer Experience. The latest technology allows companies to understand the needs of customers better so they can deliver. It enables them to only provide high-quality products by using data to ensure they meet their target audience's demands.What food trends will emerge and fade away in 2023? ›
so new trends in 2023 would include some nutrition based animal food products as well as food products free from animals that is Vegan. Many people would also turn to simplicity and culture in food as we can see on social media people are trying more of a traditional food than going for a street food or fast food.
- 8 Drive Thrus, Deliveries and Takeout. ...
- 7 Contactless Experience. ...
- 6 Diversified Revenue Streams. ...
- 5 Smart Tech. ...
- 4 Pop-Up Restaurants. ...
- 3 Ghost Kitchens. ...
- 2 Health and Wellness. ...
- 1 DNA Tailored Eating.
- Economic environment. Trends are often reflective of the economic status of a community. ...
- Consumer behavior and demands. ...
- Social factors. ...
- Labor cost and availability of workforce.
Another term often used interchangeably with functional foods, although it is less favored by consumers, is “nutraceuticals,” a term coined in 1991 by the Foundation for Innovation in Medicine to refer to nearly any bioactive component that delivers a health benefit.What are the simplest types of functional foods? ›
Functional foods may include whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables, which represent the simplest example. Those foods that have been fortified, enriched, or enhanced with nutrients, phytochemicals, or botanicals, as well as dietary supplements, also fall within the realm of functional foods.
- 1 Homogenisation. ...
- 2 Pasteurisation. ...
- 3 Canning. ...
- 4 Drying. ...
- 5 Smoking.
Farm service sector, producers sector, processors sector and marketers sector are the major sectors of food industry.
Report Overview. The U.S. packaged food market size was valued at USD 1.03 trillion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.8% from 2022 to 2030.